Available Jobs & Internships
Western Resource Advocates seeks an accountant with a passion for protecting the West. The Accountant will work closely with the Western Resource Advocates Vice President of Finance & Administration to ensure smooth operations of this leading conservation organization dedicated to protecting the West's land, air and water.
Responsibilities will include:
- Payments and Accounts Payable - The Accountant will be responsible for recording properly authorized payments and filing associated backup. The Accountant will also track and periodically reconcile all accounts receivable balances.
- Receipts and Accounts Receivable -The Accountant is responsible for recording and depositing all cash receipts and filing associated backup. The Accountant also tracks and periodically reconciles all accounts receivable balances and prepares and sends properly authorized invoices.
- Payroll duties: Serves as a contact for the payroll company and creates payroll on website and maintains payroll records. Reviews payroll reports and verifies that information is being processed correctly. Enters the payroll journal.
- Monthly reconciles additional balance sheet accounts including: Payroll withholding and unemployment payable accounts, 401(K) Payable accounts, Health Insurance receivable accounts.
- Prepares monthly financial reports.
- Reconciles Raiser’s Edge with the GL at the end of each month
- Assists with annual audit.
- Serves as contact person for company hired to oversee WRA Solicitation Registration. Oversees, files, renews, and updates in the states in which WRA has a business presence
- Performs special projects as assigned by the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
Desired Competencies and Qualifications
- Five years’ experience in Accounts Payable, Payroll, Financial reporting, and Accounts Receivable,
- Basic computer knowledge, proficiency in Excel, familiarity with MIP, or other legacy accounting system.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience
This position is based in WRA’s Boulder, Colorado office.
WRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30th, 2015. No phone calls, please.
Communications Assistant Internship or Volunteer
Boulder, Colorado or Carson City/Tahoe, Nevada
For over 25 years Western Resource Advocates has been one of the West’s leading conservation groups protecting the region’s air, land and water. We use the law, science and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region. We work to transition electricity production away from conventional fossil fuel technologies toward clean, renewable energy and energy efficiency. We protect the health of Western rivers and lakes so they remain vibrant parts of our communities, support robust economies and provide a variety of recreational opportunities. We safeguard threatened landscapes and wildlife to leave a Western legacy for future generations.
Location Options: Boulder Colorado, Carson City Nevada, South Shore Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Job Description/Duties and Functions
The Communications Assistant will be an essential part of the Communications Team to implement the communications that empower and inform target audiences to support our programs. The Assistant will work directly with the Communications Director and Communications Manager to conduct media outreach, produce and release reports and program materials, engage target audiences through social media, and inform and update the staff on news and accomplishments.
- Assist in writing and distributing News Releases, News Advisories, Opinion Editorials and News Statements to gain media coverage of organizational projects and program milestones.
- Conduct outreach calls to reporters, editors, and managers of newspapers, magazines, live media (TV/Radio), online publications and other media outlets to pitch stories and update contact information.
- Research media coverage on specific topics and analyze media stories to inform staff and allies of current framing and messaging to inform future outreach.
- Team with the Communications Manager to track and report coverage and metrics to gauge communication outreach outcomes and outputs, share Communication Department productivity and to guide adaptations in communication strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Newsletters, Reports, Materials and Production
- Write and edit newsletter articles, blogs and other news pieces to inform our staff and supporters.
- Help in the production and launch of WRA reports and white papers, designing the media outreach strategy and assisting with media coordination for the roll-out.
- Team with Communication and program staff to create persuasive and appropriate factsheets and other support materials.
- Help the Communications Manager distribute hard copy reports and other program materials
- Assist in issuing a weekly internal e-news to keep staff and board abreast of key accomplishments and challenges, upcoming major activities and coordinate amongst departments
Online Presence, Outreach and Social Media
- Assist the Communication Department staff in updating and maintaining a website so it is well structured, engaging and current. This includes frequent content updates.
- Design and implement social media strategies with Communication Department staff to effectively engage key target audiences and elevate the reputation and readership of WRA's blogs, website and social media
- Write and edit high quality monthly e-newsletter stories and other external blast email communications.
- Help create and post captivating videos to complement other program communications
- Build and maintain Communication Department outreach lists for WRA target audiences on Social Media.
- Able to volunteer for ten or more hours a week
- Familiarity and expertise working with Social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and telephone skills
- Works well and collaboratively with others
- Ability to organize own work, track multiple projects, make deadlines and manage time
- Well skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of environmental/conservation issues
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to learn complicated issues quickly and translate issues into understandable communications for different audiences
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Movie Maker or other graphic/production programs a plus
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
Western Resource Advocates seeks self-motivated law students for litigation and policy work in our Boulder, Colorado office. Under the supervision of Western Resource Advocates attorneys, legal interns will assist with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Researching and drafting briefs, motions, and memoranda;
- Assisting Western Resource Advocates' advocacy in multiple forums (including federal court, state court, and state and federal agencies) regarding a diverse scope of issues such as energy development, federal permitting, water law, land use, and other topics;
- Assisting with implementation of actions, initiatives, strategies, and campaigns to advance the efforts of Western Resource Advocates and client organizations to conserve natural resources and protect the environment.
Successful applicants will have an opportunity to make a difference working on cutting edge issues and cases across the Interior West.
Internships are open to law students who have completed at least two semesters of law school. Excellent writing and organizational skills are required. Litigation experience and knowledge of environmental law, water law, energy law, public utility law, and/or public lands law are strongly preferred.
Internships are unpaid. For-credit externship opportunities may be available in coordination with the applicant's law school.
Please note: we are no longer accepting applications for the summer 2014 semester; however, we encourage qualified students to apply for subsequent semesters.
To apply for subsequent semesters, submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample (not co-authored) and three professional references to: Rob.Harris@westernresources.org.