Available Jobs & Internships
Communications Assistant Intern
Boulder, Colorado or Carson City, Nevada
Western Resource Advocates for the last 25 years has been the West's premier group of experts protecting the West's air, land and water. WRA's pragmatic team of lawyers, scientists and economists craft innovative solutions for the most complex natural resource challenges in the region. We shape a clean energy future that reduces pollution, protects our unique western lands, and addresses climate change. We restore degraded rivers and champion urban water conservation to ensure a reliable water future.
Job Description/Duties and Functions
The Communications Assistant will be an essential part of the Communications Team to implement the communications plan, strategies and messages that will empower and inform target audiences to support our programs. The Assistant will work directly with the Communications Director and Communications Manager to conduct media outreach, produce and release reports and program materials, engage target audiences through social media, and inform and update the staff on news and accomplishments.
- Team with the Communications Manager to create and track metrics and analytics to gauge communication outreach outcomes and outputs, share Communication Department productivity and to guide adaptations in communication strategies to achieve organizational goals
- Assist in writing and distributing News Releases, News Advisories, Opinion Editorials and News Statements to gain media coverage of organizational projects and program milestones.
- Help implement strategies that will produce measurable positive media placement and increase WRA visibility
- Assist in making outreach calls to reporters, editors, and managers of newspapers, magazines, live media (TV/Radio), online publications and other media outlets
- Assist staff in issuing news releases, holding news conferences, meeting with editorial boards, submitting opinion editorials, implement letter to the editor efforts and other media outreach tactics.
- Assist the Communications Director in responding to media inquiries and developing media responses to opportunistic events.
- Help maintain and improve systems to contact media and track coverage. Help share media coverage results with staff, board, funders and other appropriate audiences.
Reports, Materials and Production
- Help in the launch of WRA reports and white papers, including report production, designing the media launch and assisting with media coordination for the roll-out.
- Team with Communication and program staff to create persuasive and appropriate factsheets and other support materials.
- Help the Communications Manager distribute hard copy reports and other program materials
Online Presence, Outreach and Social Media
- Assist the Communication Department staff in updating and maintaining a website so it is well structured, engaging and current. This includes frequent content updates.
- Help design online and social media strategies with Communication Department staff to effectively engage key target audiences and elevate the reputation and readership of WRA's blogs, website and social media
- Help issue high quality monthly e-newsletter and other external blast email communications.
- Help create and post captivating videos to complement other program communications
- Help build and maintain Communication Department contact lists for WRA target audiences
- Help create and manage an internal calendar for staff with major activities, events and milestones to help coordinate amongst departments
- Assist in issuing a weekly internal e-news to keep staff and board abreast of key accomplishments and challenges, upcoming major activities and coordinate amongst departments
- Able to volunteer for ten or more hours a week
- Familiarity and expertise working with Social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and telephone skills
- Works well and collaboratively with others
- Ability to organize own work, track multiple projects, make deadlines and manage time
- Well skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of environmental/conservation issues
- Must be self-motivated
- Able to take direction
- Ability to learn complicated issues quickly and translate issues into understandable communications for different audiences
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Movie Maker or other graphic/production programs a plus
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
Western Resource Advocates seeks self-motivated law students for litigation and policy work in our Boulder, Colorado office. Under the supervision of Western Resource Advocates attorneys, legal interns will assist with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Researching and drafting briefs, motions, and memoranda;
- Assisting Western Resource Advocates' advocacy in multiple forums (including federal court, state court, and state and federal agencies) regarding a diverse scope of issues such as energy development, federal permitting, water law, land use, and other topics;
- Assisting with implementation of actions, initiatives, strategies, and campaigns to advance the efforts of Western Resource Advocates and client organizations to conserve natural resources and protect the environment.
Successful applicants will have an opportunity to make a difference working on cutting edge issues and cases across the Interior West.
Internships are open to law students who have completed at least two semesters of law school. Excellent writing and organizational skills are required. Litigation experience and knowledge of environmental law, water law, energy law, public utility law, and/or public lands law are strongly preferred.
Internships are unpaid. For-credit externship opportunities may be available in coordination with the applicant's law school.
Please note: we are no longer accepting applications for the summer 2014 semester; however, we encourage qualified students to apply for subsequent semesters.
To apply for subsequent semesters, submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample (not co-authored) and three professional references to: Rob.Harris@westernresources.org.