Available Jobs & Internships
Vice President of Finance and Administration
Western Resource Advocates seeks an executive level administrative professional with a passion for protecting the West. The successful candidate for the Vice President of Finance & Administration will have five years’ experience in an administrative leadership role with a not-for-profit organization. The Vice President will work closely with the Western Resource Advocates President, and the Board of Directors in setting the strategic direction of organization. The Vice President position overseas the finance, human resources, information technology and facilities management areas within the organization and directly supervises five staff members.
Oversight of the WRA finances; creation and management of grant reporting; organizational budget preparation and execution; coordination of the annual audit and tax return; risk management; creation and oversight of organization’s human resources policies and procedures; coordination of all new hires and terminations; handles employee performance issues and resolutions; selects and administers the 401K Plan serving as Trustee; works with Broker for benefits administration; creation and oversight of organization’s IT policies and procedures.
Desired Competencies and Qualifications:
- College degree in business, accounting, or related field, MBA preferred;
- Five years’ experience in financial leadership role as CFO, Controller, Director of Accounting or other related position with a not-for-profit organization;
- Knowledge of fund accounting;
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel;
- Demonstrated proficiency in financial planning and financial data analysis;
- Experience in Human Resources;
- Superior problem-solving skills;
- Excellent managerial and people skills;
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills;
This position is based in WRA's Boulder, Colorado office.
WRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, and references to email@example.com by May 30th, 2015. No phone calls, please.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Increase WRA visibility by getting organizational brochure placed at Chamber of Commerce’s, in newcomers’ packets, and identify other venues for outreach across the region.
- Soliciting donations from local businesses for upcoming events
- Coordinate invitation mailings
- Other event coordination assistance
- Assist in material production
- Other duties as assigned
- Attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Social media knowledge
- Ability to multi-task and track multiple projects
- Access to a car for running errands
- Experience in marketing, PR, fundraising or communications a plus
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
Communications Assistant Internship or Volunteer
Boulder, Colorado or Carson City/Tahoe, Nevada
For over 25 years Western Resource Advocates has been one of the West’s leading conservation groups protecting the region’s air, land and water. We use the law, science and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region. We work to transition electricity production away from conventional fossil fuel technologies toward clean, renewable energy and energy efficiency. We protect the health of Western rivers and lakes so they remain vibrant parts of our communities, support robust economies and provide a variety of recreational opportunities. We safeguard threatened landscapes and wildlife to leave a Western legacy for future generations.
Location Options: Boulder Colorado, Carson City Nevada, South Shore Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Job Description/Duties and Functions
The Communications Assistant will be an essential part of the Communications Team to implement the communications that empower and inform target audiences to support our programs. The Assistant will work directly with the Communications Director and Communications Manager to conduct media outreach, produce and release reports and program materials, engage target audiences through social media, and inform and update the staff on news and accomplishments.
- Assist in writing and distributing News Releases, News Advisories, Opinion Editorials and News Statements to gain media coverage of organizational projects and program milestones.
- Conduct outreach calls to reporters, editors, and managers of newspapers, magazines, live media (TV/Radio), online publications and other media outlets to pitch stories and update contact information.
- Research media coverage on specific topics and analyze media stories to inform staff and allies of current framing and messaging to inform future outreach.
- Team with the Communications Manager to track and report coverage and metrics to gauge communication outreach outcomes and outputs, share Communication Department productivity and to guide adaptations in communication strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Newsletters, Reports, Materials and Production
- Write and edit newsletter articles, blogs and other news pieces to inform our staff and supporters.
- Help in the production and launch of WRA reports and white papers, designing the media outreach strategy and assisting with media coordination for the roll-out.
- Team with Communication and program staff to create persuasive and appropriate factsheets and other support materials.
- Help the Communications Manager distribute hard copy reports and other program materials
- Assist in issuing a weekly internal e-news to keep staff and board abreast of key accomplishments and challenges, upcoming major activities and coordinate amongst departments
Online Presence, Outreach and Social Media
- Assist the Communication Department staff in updating and maintaining a website so it is well structured, engaging and current. This includes frequent content updates.
- Design and implement social media strategies with Communication Department staff to effectively engage key target audiences and elevate the reputation and readership of WRA's blogs, website and social media
- Write and edit high quality monthly e-newsletter stories and other external blast email communications.
- Help create and post captivating videos to complement other program communications
- Build and maintain Communication Department outreach lists for WRA target audiences on Social Media.
- Able to volunteer for ten or more hours a week
- Familiarity and expertise working with Social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and telephone skills
- Works well and collaboratively with others
- Ability to organize own work, track multiple projects, make deadlines and manage time
- Well skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of environmental/conservation issues
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to learn complicated issues quickly and translate issues into understandable communications for different audiences
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Movie Maker or other graphic/production programs a plus
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
Western Resource Advocates seeks self-motivated law students for litigation and policy work in our Boulder, Colorado office. Under the supervision of Western Resource Advocates attorneys, legal interns will assist with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to:
- Researching and drafting briefs, motions, and memoranda;
- Assisting Western Resource Advocates' advocacy in multiple forums (including federal court, state court, and state and federal agencies) regarding a diverse scope of issues such as energy development, federal permitting, water law, land use, and other topics;
- Assisting with implementation of actions, initiatives, strategies, and campaigns to advance the efforts of Western Resource Advocates and client organizations to conserve natural resources and protect the environment.
Successful applicants will have an opportunity to make a difference working on cutting edge issues and cases across the Interior West.
Internships are open to law students who have completed at least two semesters of law school. Excellent writing and organizational skills are required. Litigation experience and knowledge of environmental law, water law, energy law, public utility law, and/or public lands law are strongly preferred.
Internships are unpaid. For-credit externship opportunities may be available in coordination with the applicant's law school.
Please note: we are no longer accepting applications for the summer 2014 semester; however, we encourage qualified students to apply for subsequent semesters.
To apply for subsequent semesters, submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample (not co-authored) and three professional references to: Rob.Harris@westernresources.org.